I receive a lot of questions from my readers where they have been doing much better at choosing healthy breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, but they are still struggling to find good ideas for healthy and quick "mid-meals"... especially a quick small meal or snack that can be brought to the office or on road trips (so you can avoid the fast food junk!).
Some people may call these "healthy snacks", but I prefer to consider them meals because they should be similar in size to your breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, if you want to spread your calorie intake out over the full day to "graze" so to speak.
After all, I'm sure it's no secret by now that eating 5-6 small meals per day is a much better strategy for getting lean compared to the traditional "3 squares" a day (which for most people, turns into only 2 big meals/day as many skip breakfast).
The problem that I see most people having is being prepared enough to bring healthy mid-meals with them to work for the day. If you don't plan ahead, and bring something healthy and balanced with you when you're out and about for the day, or at work, you're going to end up choosing the junk food at the vending machine or corner store.
So here are some of my favorite natural foods based mid-meals that I've used for years with great success and that lots of my clients love too. I want to keep things simple here, so I'm just gonna give a couple of my easiest, quickest, and healthiest...
Quick, healthy mid-meal ideas to keep you lean:
- Apple or other fruit with almond butter
- Hummus with carrot sticks or sliced red/yellow/orange peppers
- Guacamole with carrot sticks or sliced red/yellow/orange peppers
- Ricotta cheese (grass-fed if possible) mixed with cocoa powder, stevia, and vanilla extract (delicious high protein, low carb snack!)
- Cottage cheese mixed with yogurt, berries, and walnuts or pecans
- A couple hard boiled eggs with carrot and celery sticks and hummus (roasted red pepper hummus is my favorite)
- Celery sticks with organic peanut butter or almond butter (a classic quick snack)
- My famous healthy chocolate FUDGE recipe
- Avocado slices wrapped in deli turkey breast (one of my favorite quick snacks)
- A piece of sprouted grain toast (sprouted grain preferred nutritionally over "whole grain") with nut butter and berries
- Fresh sliced pineapple with a handful of macadamia nuts
- a bowl of blueberries mixed with raw almonds
- my quick and healthy fat-burning chocolate pudding recipe
- Cottage cheese with cinnamon, apple slices, and walnuts (mmm, mmm good)
Certified Nutrition Specialist
Certified Personal Trainer
Founder - TruthAboutAbs.com