by Mike Geary, Certified Personal Trainer, Certified Nutrition Specialist
I was at the grocery store the other day getting some ingredients for a black bean & brown rice with seasoned venison dish I was planning to make, when a curious thing happened.
I had gone straight to the grocery store after training some clients at the gym. As I was getting some frozen veggies, a nice lady (who must have figured out that I was a fitness coach from my shirt), asked me my advice on a couple frozen prepared box meals she was picking out which had "healthy" claims on the labels (by the way, those prepared frozen meals are usually highly processed and loaded with sodium and other chemicals).
Now I will say that this woman was EXTREMELY overweight, and she mentioned that she has "tried everything" to lose the excess weight and never succeeded.
Remember that I hear about 50 people a day tell me they've "tried everything" to lose weight and get in shape. The problem is that they're trying all of the wrong things... they're trying all of the gimmicks and fat loss fads that are out there instead of just adopting an actually healthy, active lifestyle that will make them lean and healthy for life.
Back to the lady in the store...
So we started talking about her struggles with losing weight and getting in shape, and I began looking at her grocery cart. As I recall, these were some of the contents she thought were healthy:
- Slim fast shakes (far from healthy...they're actually loaded with high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, and a bunch of other nasty chemicals)
- Fat Free Rice Cakes (ok...despite so many people believing these pieces of crap are healthy...they really are nothing but pure refined starch with zero fiber, which basically breaks down immediately into sugar in your body, rapidly increasing insulin and promoting fat storage...doesn't sound so good anymore, huh)
- Protein bars "Scientifically Slim Body Engineered" or some ridiculous statement like that (I took a look at the ingredient list of these so called "healthy" protein bars and sure enough... hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, and enough sugar alcohols to give you the runs for a week!)
- Canned fruit in syrup (even better, why not just eat fresh whole fruit which still contains the skins, fiber, active enzymes, etc, instead of resorting to processed, canned fruit that's been cooked and loaded with syrup)
- Reduced Sugar Dessert Cakes (these are completely loaded with nasty artificial sweeteners, sugar alcohols, preservatives, and a chemical ingredient list about 15 lines long)
Unfortunately, I come across this same scenario all the time.
Many people are fooled by what the FRONT OF THE BOX says,making them to believe what they are buying is healthy. On all of these items, the FRONT of the packages advertized all kinds of great sounding things like "fat free", "reduced sugar", "high protein", "low cholesterol", "low carb", etc.
However, the TRUTH is on the BACK OF THE BOX! Ah yes, the ingredient list and nutrition information is where the ugly truth is. I realize that the majority of people don't know how to fully understand the ingredient list and nutrition info, so they rely on the advertising claims on the front of the package to guide them.
BIG MISTAKE! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!
This woman thought she was doing a good job with her grocery shopping and buying all kinds of healthy stuff for her and her family.
The truth is, EVERYTHING she was buying was highly processed and full of chemicals and industrially refined ingredients. I'm not surprised "nothing has worked" for her to get in shape and lose the excess body fat... she hasn't been doing anything right. She's been mislead and confused by all of the marketing and labeling and conflicting nutrition info in the mass media.
If you want to discover the TRUTH about what it really takes to eat a truly healthy diet that maximizes your metabolism, brings your hormonal balance back to normal, reduces cravings, and strips off body fat faster than you'd believe is possible... it's all found in my Truth about Six Pack Abs program.
Here's what some of my readers from all over the globe are saying about their experiences with this fat loss program:
Have fun and choose wisely on your next grocery store trip!
Feel free to copy/paste this link on to any friends, family, or coworkers you think might enjoy this article.
Certified Nutrition Specialist
Certified Personal Trainer
Founder - TruthAboutAbs.com & Busy Man Fitness .com